The Faculty of Nursing and Medical Technology (FON) was established on July 27th, 2011 under Department of Nursing since 1989. FON was one of the most important faculties at Pham Ngoc Thach University of Medicine (PNTU) including 11 departments: Fundamental nursing, Clinical nursing, Community health nursing, Nurse anesthesia, Emergency & Paramedic nursing, Nursing administration, Midwifery, Laboratory medicine, Medical imaging technology, Physiotherapy, and Clinical medicine.
During nearly 30 years, the Faculty/Department’s activities have developed side by side to the University’s development. Although there were plenty of challenges in the vision and mission of Faculty, the highly striving from lecturers, staffs and administrators helped the Faculty get remarkable achievements.
Changing the name of University (2008-2018) was the most significant development stage during 30 years, and was called “Innovation and development stage’’ of FON. Due to:
- Developing the high quality professional lecturers for Nurses, Midwives, and Medical Technicians. Currently, there are 70 lecturers, including 60% postgraduate degree (1 associated professor of medicine, 2 doctors of nursing, 1 postgraduate student, 12 masters of nursing, 1 doctor of physiotherapy, 13 specialty level I of nursing, 1 master of medicine, 1 specialty level I of medicine, 1 specialty level II of medicine, and 9 masters of other majors (medical technology, public health, education)
- FON has been assigned to educate the first program of Bachelor of Nursing with the formal course and the in-service course since 2010 and 2011 respectively. Especially, the Faculty pioneered in successfully building the credit bachelor of nursing program, in integrating the competency standards of Vietnamese nursing since 2015. At the same time, the faculty oriented researches, which related to developing the advanced bachelor of nursing training program in other to improve the quality of programs within integrating direction. Furthermore, since 2012, FON has been accepted to educate the Specialty Level I of Nursing program due to the need for high quality caring human resources from health care facilities in Ho Chi Minh city.
- Implement replication of specialized nursing discipline codes such as Bachelor of Anesthesia Nursing (2013), Bachelor of Emergency and Paramedic Nursing (2016), Bachelor of Midwifery (2016), and so on. Besides, paying high attention in international cooperation to training the non-specialized discipline code in Vietnam such as “Paramedic Nursing” with Saimaa University of Applied Sciences, Finland, etc within keen intelligence to overcome the difficult contexts in training program due to the needs of Ho Chi Minh city and Vietnam.
- Due to the needs of health care providers for medical technology major, the FON has been accepted to start the credit program for Bachelor of Laboratory Medicine and Bachelor of Medical Imaging Technology since 2013. The Specialty Level I of Laboratory Medicine program was licensed in 2018.
- Over the past 10 years, international collaboration activities were intensive attention, continuously developed, and reality effective. FON signed MOU with more than 20 participants from various nursing universities from USA (such as Nothern Colorado, Azusa Pacific, Texas Women, Loyola…), Australia (Queensland University of Technology), Europe (UCN, Danish Welfare College), Denmark (Saima), Finland (Semmelweis, Hungary…), Asia (Saku University, Tokyo Metropolitan University from Japan, Word Class College 21 from Korea, Central Taiwan University of Science and Technology from Taiwan…), South Asia (Mahidol University, Burapha University, Khon Kaen University, Thammasak, Suan Dusit, Boromarajonani, Suraneree…from Thailand, Trinity University from Philipines, SKITes Muhammadiyah Palembang from Indonesia, etc). These universities are closely and warmly participants, that have strong relationships with FON from the past until now in research, exchange student program and training nursing.
- In addition to the teaching, our lecturers in the Faculty have a strong passion for studying and researching. Our professional lecturers had presentations and publications in the Journal of Medicine, Proceeding Conference of the international and national conferences. Besides, FON successfully organized two specialized international scientific conferences, including “Nursing Innovation: A key to promote People Health in AEC Era conference” and “Home Care and Paramedic” in December 2014 and December 2017 respectively. With the achievements listed above, our faculty affirms the position and brand of FON, PNTU in the national and international of training nursing and medical technology sector step by step.
- On the other hand, Skillslab, which has been called “one of the brighten achievement of medical skills training” for 10 years, has always been a “familiar address” of almost Universities and Colleges in our country to share, learn and exchange experience in training medical skills for nursing, midwifery and medical technology. So far, with the active support and effective collaboration of “Texas Tech University” the Clinical Skill Training Center, formerly Department of Clinical Skill Training belongs to the Faculty, has taken a “spectacular breakthrough” to become “the Center for Elaboration Competency and Innovation in Clinical Simulation-CECIS”. However, in the field of “patient caring training” the faculty still is an important element.
- On the continuous development of the medical training sector, PNTU is one of the potential partners with many impressive activities. Especially, FON is a pioneering “significant unit” to participate and get effective from “training medical collaboration” projects such as 12th Vietnam-Belgium project; Ap-QUT project period 2015-2026, HPET stage 3 (nurses and midwives resource for a commune in Lam Dong, Gia Lai, Kon Tum). These pieces of evidence showed the significant position of FON/PNTU in sharing and integrating at the national and international levels.
- FON continues to become the pioneer in appraising the nursing training program following the AUN standard in the period of 2020.